November 09, 2006

white girl, black boy

Every time Kezzy hears the song "White Girl, Black Boy" she tries to understand her parents. She is not against interracial marriage but she definitely believes that had her dad been white and her mother black that her life would have been much easier.

"White boy, black girl would have made a better song," sighs Kezzy, "and a much better life outcome for someone of interracial blood like me."

"There are lots of white men married to black women and nobody blinks an eye at them," says Kezzy, "but white women married to black men get stared at all the time - and sometimes get abused by strangers - and this is what I've had to grow up with."

"I first noticed the curse of being a kid of an interracial marriage with a white mom when I was about three," says Kezzy.

"My mom took me to a playgroup and a white woman there kicked up a fuss because she thought it was a white group and she didn't want her kids playing with blacks."

"I didn't understand that being black was something bad," says Kezzy, "but I felt different that day and nothing mom said could make me feel better."

"As I grew older I didn't like going out alone with mom because people would stare at us and say nasty things to her," says Kezzy.

"When dad was with us nothing too bad happened - the really bad things only happened when I was out alone with mom."

"I identified more with my dad than my mom - not just because I wasn't lily white like she was but because bad things didn't happen when he and I were out together - nobody stared at us or said bad things to us."

"Two years ago when I was 18 my mom and dad separated and I remember asking my mom why she ever married my dad in the first place," says Kezzy.

"She looked at me and didn't know what to say."

"I'm living with friends now and getting on with my life but I still have really horrible memories of being cursed by having a white mom and a black dad."

"It never occurred to me until now," says Kezzy, "but perhaps my mother felt as cursed by me as I did by her."

Labels: , , ,

Copyright 2006-2014 Migration History